The counties of Suffolk, Essex and Herts in the East of England are known for many things, including their beautiful countryside, charming villages and historical towns. But did you know that this region is also home to some of the country’s best pumpkin pie recipes?
Pumpkin pie is a traditional American dessert that is particularly popular during the autumn and winter months. It is made with a flaky pie crust and a filling made from pumpkin puree, sugar, spices and eggs. The pie is usually baked until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
This recipe for traditional American pumpkin pie is a perfect example of the delicious and comforting desserts that can be found in Suffolk, Essex and Herts. It is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients.
For the pie crust:
- 175g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 115g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 3-4 tablespoons ice-cold water
For the pumpkin filling:
- 425g (15 oz) canned pumpkin puree
- 200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 240ml (1 cup) evaporated milk
- Prepare the pie crust: In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt. Add the cold, diced butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Gradually add the ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the dough just comes together. Shape the dough into a flat disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Roll out the pie crust: On a floured surface, roll out the chilled pie crust to fit a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish. Carefully transfer the rolled-out crust to the pie dish and trim any excess dough. Crimp the edges decoratively.
- Prepare the pumpkin filling: In a large bowl, combine the canned pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves. Mix well. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add them to the pumpkin mixture. Mix until fully combined. Gradually stir in the evaporated milk until the filling is smooth and well incorporated.
- Fill the pie crust: Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake the pie: Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake at 220°C (425°F) for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue baking for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until the pie filling is set. To check for doneness, insert a knife into the centre; it should come out clean.
- Cool and serve: Allow the pumpkin pie to cool completely on a wire rack. For the best flavour, refrigerate the pie for a few hours or overnight before serving.
Serve your traditional American pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
This delicious and comforting traditional American pumpkin pie is a perfect way to celebrate the autumn season. It is also a great dessert to serve at your next holiday gathering.
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes, be sure to visit the website www.flyeronline.co.uk. Flyer Online is a great resource for community news and events in Suffolk, Herts, and Essex. You’ll find everything from recipes to events listings to local business news on the website.
So what are you waiting for? Visit www.flyeronline.co.uk today and start exploring all that the region has to offer!