Stowmarket and District Camera Club – A Brief History
On 9th July,1958 a meeting was held in the Stowupland Church Hall to form the Stowmarket and District Photographic Society. Of the five original members Roy Fidler, (first Secretary/Treasurer), remains a member of the current Club.
The first few meetings were held at the then home of Roy Fidler (a flat over the top of what is now Tydeman’s Jewellers). The meetings were then held in a room at the Stowmarket Grammar School before moving to Stowupland Church Hall.
Meetings took place weekly throughout the winter months with several outdoor events during the summer.
During the early 1970s membership declined and the Stowmarket and District Photographic Society was disbanded.
In 1977 members of a photographic evening class formed the Stowmarket and District Camera club. Arrangements were made to hire the Red Cross Hall and for the chairman of Colchester Camera Club to visit Stowmarket to explain how a Club should be organised, including events, competitions, speakers and the advantages of joining the East Anglian Federation of Photographic Clubs. A programme was put together and soon membership was increasing.
After using a borrowed Norris projector and screen, an application granted from Stowmarket Town Council enabled the club to buy a projector and screen. As per the application, slide shows were shown to local clubs including pensioners.
The club went from strength to strength regularly winning inter club battles.
Over forty years later the Club is still active and has a mixture of very competent members, photographically, administratively and financially.
The Club has 35 members using a variety of cameras, DSLRs, mirrorless, compact and bridge cameras with all levels of expertise.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions there has been no meetings since 17 March 2020. However, the committee are looking at what options may be available with the hope of restarting again soon. Please watch this space and online at www.stowmarketanddistrictcameraclub.onesuffolk.net